PENHA to Participate in the AU Pastoralism Policy Dialogue
Sadia Musse Ahmed, PENHA Country Representative in Somaliland is invited to participate in a Policy Dialogue Session and Capacity Building of Pastoral Groups and Networks for the Operationalisation of the AU Policy Framework on Pastoralism, scheduled to take place in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso on 29th June to 01st July 2016.
As the workshop concept note indicates, the purpose of this workshop is to review the progress of implementation of the Pan-African Framework on Pastoralism and plan the way forward. The workshop would also examine the essential question of resilience and adaptation to drought in pastoral areas and systems in Africa on the one hand and on the other improving the incomes and welfare of pastoralists and agro-pastoralists. The workshop aims to achieve the following objectives including:
- Assessment and prediction of risks, monitoring and early warning in pastoralist regions.
- Reduction of the risk of drought and interventions in pastoralists regions.
- Creation of a platform for exchanges, dialogues and cooperation among African pastoralist organizations and networks.
- Facilitate the management, sharing and dissemination of knowledge and best practices of pastoralism and support the setting up of pastoralism for the African Union Member States.
- Advocate for increased investment in pastoralists economies and strengthen transparency and good governance for all providers of development services.
According to the organisers, the workshops expected results include to have a study report that will establish the feasibility and added value for the establishment of a procedure in attaining resilience to drought by African pastoralists, including issues of effectiveness, ownership, capacity-building and operational mechanisms.